A Day Away

Today I have been loafing around a lot, given that it is a holiday, and a Thursday, and I decided to stay home and write.  Well I did write, a little.  But mostly I have been sitting here surfing the internet and dorking around on facebook.  When I get up I do small chores to make me feel a little better about so much loafing.

I often think of a Maya Angelou passage I once read to make me feel better about selfishly delighting in a day to myself.  It is called "A Day Away," and here is a portion of it:

"Every person needs to take one day away. A day in which one consciously separates the past from the future. Jobs, family, employers, and friends can exist one day without any one of us, and if our egos permit us to confess, they could exist eternally in our absence.
Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for. Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw from us. We need hours of aimless wandering or spaces of time sitting on park benches, observing the mysterious world of ants and the canopy of treetops.
If we step away for a time, we are not, as many may think and some will accuse, being irresponsible, but rather we are preparing ourselves to more ably perform our duties and discharge our obligations.
When I return home, I am always surprised to find some questions I sought to evade had been answered and some entanglements I had hoped to flee had become unraveled in my absence."
Text copied and pasted from here.

So today, one of my discoveries was the shop Little Lark, which is a business run by a woman I knew in high school.  The shop specializes in sweatshop free 100% cotton apparel, and it looks as though a lot of the baby clothes are organic.  I would like to get one of these shirts for our little Fox:

Maybe someone could pick one up for Christmas?  I had to paste two of the color options, because I cannot tell which one I like best.  I think Miles would look dapper in a long-sleeved T-shirt version, though honestly he might like this Kitty the best, though it would be my pick for June.

Another really cool site I discovered today is kickstarter.com.  This is a site for people wishing to embark on creative endeavors, but lacking the funds.  Check it out!  I was impressed to find some projects by local Alaskans.

And this duo (watch the video, 367 pounds of wax) continues to inspire me.

2 comments:

  1. A day to yourself sounds like a wonderful idea.
    The t-shirt site is awesome! I really want to buy all of them (especially the ones for mom and dad!). Kickstarter looks like a really cool thing too. It looks like a really productive day to me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. little lark is out of portland! we have several of her shirts and one day sawyer was sporting one--we were out and about in the world and we ran into the owner of LL. she said that whenever she spots a kiddo out in public wearing one of her shirts, she gives them a free one. a week later she send us a super rad volcano tee--we love little lark the most!

    ReplyDelete

I always, always, always love comments. (Okay, except maybe not the nasty ones.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...